![]() |
| Walking to school from the parking lot. |
![]() |
| Standing in front of the school. |
![]() |
| On her way in from "before school starts" recess...yes, I stayed to get this photo. |
![]() |
| Ekena's First Day of Kindergarten! |
![]() | |
| Next to her table in her new classroom! |
Ekena has successfully completed her first week of kindergarten! All of us survived and she has really enjoyed herself. During the summer, we had her tested to be placed in the "gifted and talented" program at on the elementary schools here in Cheyenne (Called the "Trailblazer Program). Now, I have a really hard time thinking that one of my offspring would qualify for a "gifted and talented" anything (you've met my husband, right? And that's only half the problem...) but because her birthday is in late September, she is older than most of the children in her grade. Because of this, and she's a girl, she seemed to progress and be more mature. I figured she would be bored to tears in regular kindergarten, as she attended a preschool program since the age of 2. So, she had to go through an IQ test with one of the school district psychologists as well as a maturity test with the program's kindergarten teacher. The maturity test went really well and she performed all her tasks well. The IQ test, however, was a little lacking. Most of the children score a 130 or higher that get into the program, and she was at a 128. But, because she was older, they accepted her into the program. We were pretty floored, but nonetheless, very excited.
She has really blossomed and LOVES going to school...so far. (It IS the first week...we're all still optimistic.) Kindergarten here is full day, every day, which means that she eats lunch at school. For a picky, allergy-ridden little girl, this is a challenge. But, she's taken to it really well. The school is fabulous with choices. She gets to pick from 3-4 different entrees a day, plus 4-5 sides. And she can have ALL of the sides if she chooses. We have packed her lunch for the first few days, except on one day she had chili and cinnamon rolls...a family favorite! On this day, I got to go and eat with her and was SO impressed with the staff and faculty. The kindergarteners were still learning how to walk through the hot lunch line, so they recruited the 4th graders to come and pair up with a kindergartener and help. I was so touched with how sweet Ekena's partner was. This girl carried Ekena's tray for her, helped her pick out her side dishes, held her hand to pick out her entree, helped her type in her Student ID # (to have the $ deducted from her account) and led her to her seat. Then...after all this, she sat next to her and opened her silverware and made sure she was okay before she went out to finish her recess. ALL of this took place while I walked close behind and watched. I was in tears at how kind this girl...a stranger...was to my daughter. I was even more impressed by the sweet men and women that walked up and down the tables and helped the children open their lunchables, find their silverware and put their straws into their CapriSuns. I don't remember anyone doing that when I went to school. Then, when the children were done eating, they cleaned up their area and raised their hand to be excused. I was so impressed with the kindness, organization and timeliness in which all this happened. After having lunch at school, I am more at ease that my daughter is in kind, capable hands. I really hope that ALL elementary schools are run this way...but, I know better.
Next week, Ekena has "Show & Tell" and the theme is "hobbies/sports". She's been debating on whether to take her art supplies, her bike or her soccer ball. I'm sure you're in suspense as to what the choice will be...I know I am!





2 comments:
Your such a good mama! All those cute pics. She is adorable! I am glad that she is liking school. Kids are so adaptable, it make life so much easier!
Post a Comment