CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 24, 2011

Bloggle Babble

It's that time again...I don't have any photos to post, but wanted to give a quick update on how things are going in our lives right now.  Some of this is pretty random, so bear with me.

Will has finally finished re-doing the siding on our home.  It was a long, drawn-out project, but we're both grateful to have it completed.  I'm pretty impressed with my handyman of a husband.  Next on the agenda: The Roof.  Not really looking forward to that, but if we can get our act together, it should be a one-day project (crossing my fingers).

We are both playing city league volleyball and having a great time.  His team is currently un-defeated, and those guys are pretty amazing.  We make it to each other's games, provided that they start before 8pm.  Otherwise, one stays with the kids while the other goes.  My team has lost one game so far, and for a bunch of out-of-shape women (most of us mommies) I think that's pretty good.  The team we lost to is amazing, and I don't see them losing anytime soon.  Most of them played in college, so we kept up with them okay.  We're just hoping that next time we play them, we can at least take them to 3 games instead of losing in 2.

We have found a lot of shows that we like this season...which is pretty impressive, as we don't have cable.  Hulu is one of our favorite things and we watch it often.  We have our 47in flat screen hooked up to our computer just so we can watch all of our shows online.  Genius.  I am, however, pretty irritated that Glee and New Girl haven't been on for a few weeks.  I can't WAIT until the World Series is over.  I LOVE Football on Sundays and wish that we got more channels so we could watch all of the games.

Our Bishop has challenged us to finish the Book of Mormon by the end of the year.  It has been wonderful delving in to such a great book again.  I have a hard time finding spare moments during the day, but I find that if I read after everyone has gone to bed and I stay up a little later than usual, I get more reading done.  Which, brings up something else.  I have officially turned into an old lady.  I have a hard time being up past 11p.  This time last year, I was usually up until 2a or 3a.  It's amazing how having a school-aged kid gets you to bed earlier.

Ekena seems to be doing well in kindergarten.  She doesn't tell me much, other than what's going on at recess.  She has told me that she's being moved to a different class for Math, which I thought was interesting.  I don't know if she's being moved to a more remedial level or a more advanced level.  I shall see on Thursday when I go for Parent/Teacher Conference.  She still enjoys sitting and drawing or coloring and most often, she can be found at the kitchen table making a picture.  She received a whole ream of paper for her birthday in September and has managed to color on all 500 sheets.

William LOVES preschool this year.  Last year, he had a hard time with me leaving and would cling to my leg for a few minutes before I could peel him off and leave. As of this year (knock on wood) he hasn't cried one time and he has really enjoyed himself.  Ekena leaves for school by 8:15a every morning (she gets picked up by the carpool) and William is dressed and ready for preschool at the same time, even though his doesn't start until 12:30p.  I spend all morning counting down with him until school starts.  He is learning his letters, how to identify them, what sound they make and how to write them.  He is excelling in his classroom and I'm thrilled that he is finally finding learning fun!

Keanu is 15 months and he thinks he's pretty hot stuff.  He walks all around the house and manages to reorganize the kid's dish cabinet on a daily basis.  He has taken to "squealing" a lot and it's driving me crazy.  This has prompted me to work on his vocabulary so he doesn't get to frustrated when he wants something.  He can say "Mom", "Hi", "Out", and "No".  Will doesn't believe that Keanu's vocabulary is so extensive as Keanu refuses to be a performing monkey.  Anytime Will is around and I ask Keanu to say a word, he just looks at me like I'm crazy.  But, I promise.  He really does talk.  He's also working on being able to maneuver stairs, which has proven to be pretty nerve-wracking, but he's getting there.

Lastly, I have really been enjoying my new job.  I work for a couple of hours every night with a couple of children that have developmental disabilities.  Both have autism and I work with each child 3 times a week on alternating days.  I have really enjoyed learning sign language and getting to know each child and their respective families.  I am counting my blessings on a daily basis that I get to work with Heavenly Father's elite children.  They have taught me so many things and I have learned the real value of happiness as I am around them.

That seems to be all.  If you have made it through this post, congratulations!!  You don't win anything, but let me know and I'll give you a high five next time we see each other.  Mostly, I'm working toward keeping a record for my posterity, but your comments are greatly appreciated!  Here's to another great week! 

3 comments:

Milmonster

I love hearing about your family Tia! Glad you are all doing well. Good luck on finishing your roof in a day. That has to be a task!

Suzette

Love the updates! It's fun to already know most of this stuff since we live close and see eachother!

Megan

Hey Tia!

It is so much fun to read your blog and hear about your family. You inspire me to be a better blogger. And I need a lot of inspiring I'm pretty bad at staying current. miss you guys.